Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: so what's different about the sound of a MAGTECH AMPLIFIER ?

Their sound is not what people buy them for. They do sound good, but so do dozens of other amps.

The reasons are 2-fold. They offer plenty of power and electrostatics and panel speakers have very low sensitivity so need lots of watts. Secondly, these types of speaker don't conform with the usual nominal 4 or 8 or 15 ohms as other speakers do. They drop to very low impendence at certain frequencies and this could lead to damage in amplifiers not designed for very low impedance. So Mr Sanders, who builds electrostatic speakers designed (or had designed) his own amp that satisfies both these requirements.

I bought a Magtech 3 years ago to power my Martin Logan Expression 13As, but I found that my GamuT D200 Mk III sounded marginally better and it too was happy with low impedance speakers. Sadly the MLs sounded poor in my room, despite Anthem room correction. This was entirely down to the wall behind the speakers being 12 ft behind one and 15 ft behind the other. I had to sell the MLs and the Magtech and keep my trusty 17 year old Avantgarde horns that were happy mid-room

Edits: 11/18/22 11/18/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: so what's different about the sound of a MAGTECH AMPLIFIER ? - cawson@onetel.com 14:05:50 11/18/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.