Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Magnepan speaker /Mye stand mounting upgrade

You may not want to do this, but it makes everything rock solid. I'm using Mye stands and 3.6s. The problem this addresses is the top frame brace is not directly attached to the speaker.

Total hardware for each speaker includes 4 x 1" diameter washers and 2 x 1 1/4" long machine screws with 2 nuts. The picture shows the finished back of the speaker. The washers are on both sides of the speaker so it's tightly sandwiched between them. I used the existing hole in the speaker for the trim screws for attachment.

Here's what you can't see on the other side. The wood panel trim for the front of the speaker now won't sit tightly flat against the the washers and machine screw heads on the front. I used a Forstner 1 1/4" bit to carefully cut a flat bottom relief hole about 2-3 mm deep on the back of the wood trim using the existing wood screw holes as a guide.

Now, you've lost two attachment point for the wood trim so you'll have to make 2 more holes if you don't want any frame rattling. You'll need a carbide drill bit to cut through the side metal frame stiffeners on the front of the speaker panel. I use the same diameter bit as the holes already in the speaker and made the new hole right above the original one as you can see in the picture. It's not difficult.

Now the Mye stands are perfect and can mass load the top of the speaker as well as the bottom. The speakers and stands are one.

There is one noteworthy drawback to doing this. You have to mount the speakers on the stands first and then put the grillcloth/frames on afterwards. What was only unwieldy before is now even more of a PITA.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Magnepan speaker /Mye stand mounting upgrade - Barry 11:12:42 11/06/22 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.