Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quad ESL-57 vs Quad ESL-2912

I would likely choose the ESL-57 because its midrange is so uncannily real. Reviews of the latest iteration of the four-panel Quad--derived ultimately from the ESL-63 design--indicate the high end has been boosted a bit. Some listeners will likely see that as an improvement.
The speakers do sound different. The 57 is a bit more forward, the 2912 will have a slightly more distant perspective. (I have both the ESL-63 and ESL-57 fully restored. Both are fabulous speakers and each has its admirers.
One other consideration is cost.
If you decide you want the upright, four-panel version, you can save a lot of money buying a used pair of 63s and having them redone by Kent McCollum at Electrostatic Solutions. Since you are considering 57s, I assume you have no problem buying a used pair of speakers and having them refurbished. If you went with used 63s, you could very likely have restored versions of both models for less than a new pair of 2912s.
IMHO you can hardly go wrong with either speaker.
Let us know what you decide. Either way, you'll have a great-sounding system!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Quad ESL-57 vs Quad ESL-2912 - George S. Roland 09:55:25 10/26/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.