Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Magnepan 3.6R dead midranges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It is pretty well known around here that the drivers are very good at protecting the fuses - especially the ribbons. Also upteen years ago I had problems with the mid-driver fuses blowing (MG-IIIa), leaving the ribbon fuses intact. Problem was an underpowered mid-treble amp. At the time I was using an XO-1 to biamp".
As everyone has said check the continuity of the mid-drivers and a cheap meter is more than sufficient. Also did you check the new fuses? The condition that caused them to blow may still be present and they may have blown as soon as you turned the system back on.
BTW, as you have found out, when the mids go out, the effect is much more subtle than when you lose a tweeter or woofer. I guess the "missing" range is filled in partially by the other drivers and partially by our brains.

PS: I am not sure of this but perhaps if the 200 uF "cap" which constitutes the HP filter for the mid has a short. This would allow the full signal to go to the mid-driver and cause the fuse to blow?? To check for the short disconnect the exterior box and place the meter across the positive input of the box and the positive output for the mid-treble. You should have infinite resistance, anything else is a problem. Shorted caps in a XO are unusual but you never know.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thougths to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 11/30/21

Follow Ups: