Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Maggie LRS + 40W NAD C316BEE integrated = "A gift of the GODS!"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

NAD class AB amps / receivers use that "power envelope" dual rail power supply commutating topology that they have developed over the years, and it really does work. You end up with an amplifier circuit that can source and sink a decent amount of current when it's asked to. Not continuously, mind you, but you get it "as needed" - which suits music well. You end up with better sound than you thought you'd get given the amp's rated power and cost...

The other thing about NAD amps is their "house sound" errs a little on the side of "darkness" - so their class AB products tend to de-emphasize any "solid state glare" or "tizz" or "harshness" that might be present. All in all they made some good engineering decisions.

The late Wayne Picquet of Quad rebuilding fame told me once that his favorite amp for his Quads was an NAD power amp, I forget which model, but to him it gave the sound he felt showed the qualities of the Quads to best effect without costing an arm and a leg.

I like their industrial design as well. It's right up there next to the stuff Dieter Rams did for Braun. Not everyone likes it, but I think it is great and was ahead of it's time.
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 11/17/21

Follow Ups: