Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: LRS verses .7

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

the GMMG is more in-line with a 1.6 in terms of bass and sound stage albeit room specific.

And they're more than just a pretty face, it's got mundorf silver in oil caps underneath the hood vs the stock solens.

Problem is they don't get much air time in my house.

I was working overseas at the time and I wasn't sure how long I would work for this particular company (contract was annually). So from that perspective I wasn't sure that when I'd return I'd have enough money for a condo or a house. During that time Pete was kind of hinting he might stop doing the upgrades so I ordered the GMMG's just in case I'd end up in a condo.

Well I ended up staying a little longer than I thought: over four years. During that time I bought a house and set forth with my original game plan of getting a pair of my dream speakers: MG20x's. A couple years go by and they weren't popping up online (they were, just not locally so I can audition them) but a pair of Duetta sigs did, in fact only about 30 min from my place and I was able to audition them and subsequently grabbed them while I was home on vacation.

As fate would have it about a year later a pair of MG20's popped up about two hours from my place. The guy was going through a divorce and wanted to unload them. I told him his price was too high and I wouldn't be able to audition them since I was overseas at the time.

Long story short, I got them for an insanely low price plus a written guarantee they were in good condition. As an added bonus he drove them down and delivered them to my house. Having just gone through a divorce I knew where he was coming from.

I didn't need two large speakers so sold the Duetta sigs for almost twice what I paid for them. Something I'd learn to regret because they really sounded incredible.

About 8 years go by and as luck would have it another pair of Duetta sigs pop up on my radar, this time only about 15 min from my house. Long story short I now have all three: Duetta Sigs, MG20's and Gunned MMG's.

I have the GMMG's in the living room powered by my Emotiva's and the Duetta sigs powered by a Halcro amp in my den/dedicated sound room. The MG20's are also in that room.

I keep the GMMG's not only because they sound spectacular and are works of art, but also as a reminder that they'll fit any room 'just in case' I ever end up in a condo or apt. But I have thought of selling them since they don't get much air time.

Edits: 11/12/21   11/12/21

Follow Ups: