Planar Speaker Asylum

I could have written this post...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It drives me nuts too. I've got about the same difference.

My system is tri-amped and I match L & R outputs to within <1mV with a function generator. Oh, the tubes were already matched with an Amplitrex AT-1000 for iP and Gm to less than 5% difference.

The dedicated room is almost symmetrical, but I had 2 openings on 1 side, so I walled them up. The room treatment is balance too and placement was measured to match both sides. One possible explanation is that the left side is concrete and the right side is wood paneling.

The both edges of the speakers are placed with a laser distance meter measured from the listening position and would seem to be within 1-2 mm. This is difficult to do.

Thankfully, most times the imbalance improves as the system warms up, and the imaging is often centered after an hour or so. When I use the balance control, I get the same sensation you do - doesn't sound right.

Many recordings do not have a centered image!!!!

I've done all I can. Like you, I move my head a few inches to one side if system warm-up does not correct things. Oh, well.

Follow Ups: