Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Phase Matching and Delay/Time Alignment Example Plots

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

"... is getting the two drivers to produce the flattest frequency response curve your priority? ..."

It is one priority, but not all. The frequency curve seems to be the most common first consideration (e.g. the ubiquitous Graphic EQ and tone controls), but it is certainly not the only one. It was my first focus until I got deeper into it and "learned" better tools.

"... And is achieving that sometimes done at the cost of another criteria? ..."

They are all related so they should all be taken into account. Achieving one goal through improper means can cause other problems.

"... Or does best frequency response usually coincide with best step/group delay response? ..."

Good question. I usually target a flat curve because of my personal hearing preferences. I find that a flat curve is a happy medium for most of the types of music I listen to so most of my experience is with a flat curve. You can have a flat frequency response and still have other issues. Time alignments, phase and frequency will all impact the various plots.

There are also differences between minimum phase and linear phase filters. If you apply a minimum filter to adjust a frequency, it will impact phase. If you use a linear phase filter, it will not. RePhase allows you to select your own combination of minimum and linear phase filters.

There are also linear and minimum phase camps just as there are tube and solid state camps so be forewarned.

In short, minimum phase filters are generally faster, require less processing power and have a higher chance of matching video lip-sync. Linear phase filters require more processor power, have more of a lag and video lip-sync needs to be compensated by a video delay.

Edits: 07/25/20   07/25/20   07/25/20

Follow Ups: