Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Is it normal for Magnepan LRS speakers to distort at high volume?

Little confused here. I hear people say you needs lots of power to drive Magnepan LRS speakers properly. Ok, to I upgraded my amp to an Musical Fidelity A3 dual mono integrated amp. Supposedly it does 180 watts into 4 ohms and that amp is high current design. Well with cd, I can get it pretty darn loud with no audible distortion. But to get the same volume, with vinyl I have to go up louder with the volume knob. I notice that sometimes once volume know goes up past lets say 1:00 o clock, sometimes I will hear distortion / breakup. What gives. What is happening, are the speakers reaching their "limits". Small surface area? Normal? Crazy thing is that the volume knob goes all the way to 6:00 o clock in terms of loudness. I would imagine that if I even attempted to increase to volume to that level, speakers would blow up. Ger.

Edits: 08/10/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Is it normal for Magnepan LRS speakers to distort at high volume? - g_greenamyer@yahoo.com 22:07:00 08/10/22 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.