Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Is 50 Watts per channel enough for MG1-IMP?

OK, I took the plunge and bought a refurbished Carver M-4.0T. I was curious to hear if the additional wattage (nominal 375 watts per channel) would make any difference to my Maggies.

To be honest, I did not expect much. Bob Carver is a controversial engineer, and I've read enough of bad reviews of his T models to keep me highly skeptical. I was truly expecting to hear muddy, flabby sound.

Hey, much to my surprise, right out of the gate, and without any warmup, Carver M-4.0T made Maggies sing! Yep, sounds noticeably better than DPA 200s. The bass is deeper, sturdier, less bloated, the slam is much more pronounced, the mids are clearer, the highs silkier.

Overall, Carver M-4.0T delivers more authoritative playback. Things seem better controlled, I'm hearing never before noticed details, the soundstage has deepened. The sound is not fatiguing in the least. Everything feels and sounds much smoother.

Looks like the rumours are true after all -- Maggies do need more power. At least, that is my conclusion in my listening room, with the pair of my own ears.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.