Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

After 60+ hours of burn-in, the 10Es sound barely tolerable.

The combination of speakers that use stretched-plastic diaphragms and amps with Teflon-film caps--and not used for months before I received them--is sometimes tough to listen to while both are burning-in.. The bass still sounds GREAT, but the sounds from the panels are, at different times, course, hard, 'swimmy', veiled, etc.. I'm told it'll take at maybe 300 hours to sound good.

Meanwhile I've finally equipped my Bosch DLR130 Distance Measurer with an Arca-Swiss tripod plate that aligns the rotational center of the device with the line of the lazer, all of which eliminates its paralax error.. Mounted on my foto tripod, it now enables repeatable distance measurements to plus-or-minus 1/16", and I've managed to set the speaker distances to within 1/16" and get the speakers' toe-in and vertical tilt right where they should be.

I still have my Serenity Super-7s and wish I were listening to THEM, but another 1-1/2 weeks (c. 225 hours) on the 10Es ought to show me how good they can sound.

Still fantasizing about different poweramps.. My goals are excellent-sounding monoamps* with at least 60 Watts, all triode vacuumtubes, fully balanced with XLR inputs of course, and affordable**.. OH WAIT--I already have a pair in the Atma-Sphere M-60s!! Seriously now, I'm looking for a pair of Allnic A-6000s; they're built using FOUR 300Bs in parallel for 50 watts of power (or 60 with Emission Labs 300B XLSs), Permalloy transformer cores, and a low-winds-ratio output transformer.. Since I have a 240VAC branch circuit in the house close to the musicroom, I'm considering two pairs now in England and Singapore(!!).. I know--I'm crazy!

* When the audio world starts using 'stereoblock' to describe a 2-channel amp, I MIGHT start using 'monoblock' to describe a single-channel amp.

** That term is rather vague, but it's my money, so I understand it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.