Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Acoustat X

I purchased a pair of the Model X in '77 shortly after hearing them in Atlanta when Jim Strickland and Bob Rieman brought a pair for JWC to review. Not quite like the good doctor's Dayton-Wrights, but nice!

I later upgraded them first to the Monitor using the new frame and additional panel. And eventually moved to the dual transformer interface. My take is the interface driven by a Threshold Stasis 3 was a decided improvement in transparency over the stock servo charge amps.

Nice idea, but remember it used an op amp as the input stage. Even that was upgraded once from the original Harris 741 to a TL072 along the way - not exactly the source of dreams. Naturally, I cannot speak to those who have modified the original amplifiers in various ways to address their limitations.

I'd say listen first.

edit: While I use Sound Lab U790s in the music system, I enjoy a pair of 1+1s in the HT using Roy Esposito modified "air" interfaces. You may recall there were no fewer than three different interface models and the X never employed the newer OFC panels.

Edits: 07/18/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Acoustat X - E-Stat 12:11:28 07/18/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.