Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Acoustat X

So, I do not have a wealth of experience with xformer based Acoustats. A little, but nowhere near the stick time I have with directly driven Acoustats.

I've been living with my Monitor 4's and their completely rebuilt direct-drive servos since 2010. The MK interface Acoustats I've heard sounded very, very good, but they lacked something compared to my servo driven ones. Not sure I could put my finger on it if pressed, but that last little bit of speed and air that adds to the sense of realism maybe? It has been years since I heard a transformer based pair, so it's difficult for me to offer you a meaningful comparison. You're probably aware that Gordon Holt said something to the effect of "the king is dead" when he wrote about the discontinuance of the servo based Acoustats. They are something special.

If you end up with them, consider using the 6GE5 tube rather than the 6HB5. I've heard both tubes, and the 6GE5 has the sonic edge. The 6GE5 is a drop in replacement for the 6HB5. IMO, the Sylvania versions of either tube sound best - at least to my ears.

There's pics of my servos, etc. in my gallery if you wanna scope them out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Acoustat X - Sondek 09:49:51 07/18/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.