Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 3.6r's To Bi-amp Or Not

Loaded questions! I am a strong advocate for biamping but I also realize there are a lot of issues to consider. First question, are you unhappy with your current setup and if so what would you like to improve? Second, how much money do you want to spend?
Then there is the question of apples and oranges. The Pass amp is very good but much more expensive than your Proceed. BTW the proceed is 125 wpc into 8 ohms which IMO is too small for the 3.6. And even the Pass is a lttle underpowered. I would look for 250 wpc amp, and even if you continue on to biamp, it would very suitable for one of the amps. Another issue is "amp matching". Just putting two amps together for biamping is not a great idea --ideally the amps should be the same or at least have the same sonic signature (same manufacturer?).
Finally there is the issue of the XO - analog or DSP.
From my own experience, I found using two identical Class D amps (W4S ST-500s) and a Marchand XM-44 XO for my modified MG-IIIa was extremely satisfying. The electronics cost about $3000 and if you go used it could be considerably less.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.