Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What amplifier do you use withe you Magnepan .7 or LRS

(Martin Logan Depth subwoofer is a constant, crossed over at 45hz. Modest sized rooms.)

-- Previous 15 years: I have used a Balanced Audio Technology VK-3i and VK-500 w/ MG-12's. That's 250wpc.

--- Current set up: Audiolab 8000a with LRS's. That's 55wpc.

My most important verdict would be, that with both setups you simply can't use these speakers to play "Everybody Wants Some" at that song's native beast mode volume. You have to be cool with a "polite" VH binge.

You can get away with modest power, I suspect, b/c these speakers are just not going to be at their best at brown note approximating levels. It is not what they are for. Sigh!

With Mahler -- the power music -- i can tell I'm *close* to hitting an edge with both set ups but since I'm a Row K kinda fellow, that's alright. So it's not just rock. But 95% of classical is fine. Bach cantatas a fancy? Oh boy...

My dealbreaker music: Solo piano on both setups -- lol, I dare anyone to not find it splendid. From Bach to Liszt, zero problems imo. The Audiolab has no problems even with thunderous crashes of chords.

*****Keep in mind, the ML sub. w/o sub, I am not sure I would want to live with these speakers. I highly doubt I could get over the evaporation of energy below 50hz with these devices.*****

/ optimally proportioned triangles are our friends

Edits: 01/02/22 01/02/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What amplifier do you use withe you Magnepan .7 or LRS - farfetched 16:50:52 01/02/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.