Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

MG12's verses .7's

I currently have a pair of both in-house. And I've been doing a comparison for the last three months.

.7's are much easier to drive. My volume decreased by at least 25%.

.7's are much less forgiving than the MG12's. My system did not have a bit of grain in it with the 12s at high-volume. The .7's sounded grainy at high volume, and seem to break up The frequencies.

In my room the .7's go much lower than the MG12's.

My REL S3 SHO sub could no longer be corner loaded and had to be to be pulled out and the sub crossover settings and volume changed quite drastically. More difficult to blend with the .7 then the MG12. Still fiddling with sub settings and placement for the .7's.

The REL corner loaded with the MG12 really pressurize the room. Even at low volume I had impactful base.

.7's The soundstage is wider and deeper and the imaging is slightly more precise within the soundstage.

10 to 15% more detail with the .7's. Not hyper detail but close.

The .7's are 8 inches wider apart than the 12s with much less tow-in and 2 inches closer to the front wall.

In my room the biggest difference and the weakest link of the .7's were the gaps in the frequency responses at the transition frequencies. Mids to highs big gap and lower mids to upper bass big gap. Thought it might be upstream but there's no sign of that with the 12s.

The 12s have sweeter mid range and a more romantic sound and the .7's are much more analytical with their presentation.

Musicality and goosebumps I prefer the MG12's.

The .7's are screaming for tubes somewhere in the chain. A tube preamp would go miles with these speakers. Because of the efficiency differences between the .7's and the 12s, I would not be afraid of a medium power tube amp.

I live in a small town home sitting near field, my system has to do double duty for music and TV/movies, so tube amps need not apply.

This is just my opinion, in my room, with my current rig and what I am hearing. To confirm what I'm hearing I am going to have two of my audiophile friends come over and I will swap out speakers and get their opinions, which I have not done yet. I have the location of each speaker marked out with tape and I've got the subwoofer crossover settings for corner loaded and pulled out all documented for a quick change when we do the comparisons.

I have been taking notes and working on a review comparison of these two speaker models.

I was going to post it on the Facebook Magnepan users group, but I'll also post it here.
It goes into much greater detail and I use 10 of my 60 of reference tracks as a comparison between the two. One of my playlists in Roon is references, familiar tracks so I can notice changes in sonics.

I really could live with either one of the speakers. The .7's I would have to do separates versus an integrated. Tube pre / SS amp.

As with any speaker there are trade-offs, for me it's a matter of prioritizing the best attributes of each. The .7's do everything better, BUT frequency response and musicality go to the 12s.

I most likely will keep them both. Two different flavors and designs from the same manufacture.

My current rig:

Simaudio Moon 340i DXP2 integrated
Schiit Yggy DAC
Small green computer sonictransport CDR server, with a 2 TB hard drive. This model has the ripper built-in. Ripping to redbook CD resolution. Currently have no streaming service.
Allo digione signature streamer as my Roon end point
Uptone Audio etherRegen outboard digital clock. (Best $640 I've ever spent)
All interconnects/ Power-cords/digital cables are Wywires platinum or diamond series (all copper litz design, very smooth)
JPS labs Superconductor V speaker cables.
Magna Riser Multi riser Mark V stands

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.