Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I think fast bass is a good term then:

> "Fast bass" is a misnomer, an audio descriptive term whose literal meaning makes no actual sense. Different listeners connect the term with different sonic qualities, so in essence the term is meaningless. In general, though, I think most people are describing a playback system that has less low frequency group delay and to some degree quicker decay on bass transients, when they talk about "fast bass."

Less low frequency group delay means that the bass arrives on time with the higher frequencies, instead of being late. Sounds like the opposite of slow bass to me.

And quicker decay on transients means it goes away faster instead of hanging around too long, i.e. slow.

So fast is a good enough metaphorical description as it's meant in opposition to "slow", and slow means showing up late and leaving late.

I agree 100% with the late Mr Linkwitz about the phenomenon but I now thing there's a good enough definition of "fast bass".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think fast bass is a good term then: - DrChaos 10:42:07 11/16/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.