Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

With these observations...

I'm really not conveying a deliberate choice or thinking process. It's just how I've always been impacted by the sound. And I appreciate the fact that many others are not in the same way. I discovered that while I learned a considerable amount about music and audio from valuable mentors, I have different priorities than any of them. And those really haven't changed much over time.

Years ago, I visited a fellow inmate in Ohio during a business trip. My only disappointment was that it was only for an evening. He was quite the fine tuner and had a pair of tweaked Advents (my first "real" speaker as a teenager and what's found in the garage) and some JBL L110s. He played the Advents first and naturally, they sounded very familiar. With his stands and custom cabinets, I noticed better first octave bass than I was accustomed to. When we switched over to the JBLs, I heard a more neutral presentation with better top end extension. But - a big but - their inconsistent directivity created a weird hourglass shaped soundstage I immediately found distracting. It was only after I observed this that he listened further and began to understand what I perceived. He later retired them.

I cannot "un-hear" what I find compromises coherency and thus realism to these ears.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.