Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Planar vs horn vs ...

I have never heard a horn speaker that didn't sound colored, "shouty" and slowed down in the bass. The JBL Everest were the best horn systems I've heard, and their bass had too much in the way of stored energy coloration for me. Plus they cost a fortune.

I've heard many of the $$$ field-coil speakers, and also the Avant Garde and the costly Acapella speakers. They all sound like 1958 to me. I just can't hear past the coloration and bass energy storage issues. Some people like the kind of coloration they introduce- the same way they like the added distortion of single ended triodes and the many kinds of noise and distortion introduced by vinyl playback. These are all personal preferences, and you will not know what kind of playback sound YOU like until you listen to some different speakers in rooms similar to yours- there's just no way to "hear" how things sound by reading reviews or online fora. You will really need to visit some dealer showrooms to hear these things. Another option is to find a local Audio Society - many times members of Audio Societies welcome visitors into their homes to hear their systems.

You really need to hear things for yourself, in order to work out your preferences.

===============================
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 11/07/21 11/07/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.