Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Planar vs horn vs ...

Hi Juan,

Your English is very good, no worries. Welcome to this forum!

I have owned a lot of speakers of most types--horns (Klipsch and Altec), Magnepans, electrostatics (Quad ESLs and ESL-63s) and can offer the following observations.

Depending on where you live, Quads might not be the best choice. They do not do well at very high altitudes (see original review in Stereophile) and they don't like high humidity. They are extremely revealing, high resolution speakers with very low coloration. They will not play at extremely high volumes and they will not have punch-you-in-the-stomach bass. I play a lot of classical music and opera, and in this area they are unsurpassed in my opinion.

Because of their high efficiency, horns play very well with tube electronics and, generally, work well with very low power amplifiers, tube SETs being popular with many fans. They are very dynamic and are very clear and clean at low volumes. I find them overly forward and colored in general, but if you want huge dynamics and high volume, you might want to look at them. The new Klipsch Heritage speakers--Klipschorns, LaScalas and Cornwalls have been getting good reviews. Big sound for your large space!

In the area of dynamic speakers, I would recommend Bowers and Wilkins' speakers as good all-around performers. They are detailed, reasonably dynamic and the larger models like the 800 or 801s can produce high volume without distortion and clean bass. I have an old pair of Matrix 801 IIs and they are, easily, the most detailed and revealing dynamic speakers I have owned. Get a good, high-powered, solid state amp for them.

I think it is very, very important for you to go to a city where you can hear a lot of models--perhaps an audio exhibition in a European city (Munich, Berlin, London??) where you can listen to a lot of speakers. If you have the money to buy some high-end components, you can afford to do this. You ought to hear speakers in person rather than relying on forums such as this to make buying decisions.

Speakers are the first thing to buy, then buy electronics that will work well with your speakers. I agree with another poster that Pass Lab power amps are very good components. I bought a used Pass X-250.5, and it is the best solid state amplifier I have heard to date.

You are embarking on a wonderful hobby, and I wish you well in finding a system that meets your every need and desire!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Planar vs horn vs ... - George S. Roland 22:33:15 11/05/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.