Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Planar vs horn vs ...

Hi,

My name is Juan. I´m from Spain (Europe). I am 42 years old. Father of three children of 3, 5 and 7 years old (I´m never bored.... hahaha). I work on a real estate company. We make buildings and sell the homes. Sorry for my horrible english. Let´s hope you understand me.

As long as I can remember, I have enjoyed music. I also liked machines and electronic components, so it´s not uncommon that I have finished here.

Many months searching webs, forums, shows, videos, "expert" opinions, "commercial" opinions, sellers with "interests", sellers "without any interest"... Hi-Fi world is a long trip, a difficult trip with "shine" products and (at least) a five digit price... A jungle for rich men. A paradise for the new economies. Another "economic bubble"... If you are a person like me, with little knowledge, it´s easy to be scared...

I'm looking to set up a hi-fi system. I'm using Qobuz streaming service (no CD´s and no vinyls at the moment, but the idea is to start with vinyls soon).

What I´m lookig for: dynamic sound, holographic and intimate experience (the speakers disappear and you are in the live concert), warm sound (I´m not closed to neutral fidelity but I don´t want fatigue and "in your face sound"), deep bass (but I don´t want independent subs) and good speakers at low level volumes (does it mean high sensitivity speakers??).

It is clear that it´s absolutely necessary to hear the speakers "in person". The problem: I live in a region with no specific audio commerces and, also, many of the brands in which I´m interested have no distribution on my country. In most cases also, an offical distributor doesn´t guarantees that they are going to have in stock speakers to hear them, beacuse with specific models they only work on request. Not to mention those distributors that strongly advise against one of their own brands (maybe they have more interest in selling the other brands they have).

Consequently, the comments and suggestions of people like you are really important to me (experts advices from people with many speakers "on his shoulders").

Let´s talk about my room. It´s a big space of 41 square meters (if I´m not mistaken they are 441,33 square feet aprox.). The speakers are at 13 feet between each other and they are at 2 feet from the wall. The sofa is at 12 feet from the speakers aprox. This is my actual room. No specific treatment. Is a rented home so I´m not going (I can´t) make any change. In two years I´ll go to a new home. The dimensions of the new "audio space" will be similar or even bigger.

Music preferences (right now I´m really eclectic and I like a lot of music genres): soul, jazz, classics and a lot of rock (that´s the reason of looking to deep bass capable speakers).

Devices: I will choose the Power Amp + Pre + DAC + Streamer + turntable after choosing the speakers. All new. (In principle I prefer valves).

I'm not closed to any technology or possibility; I´m not an expert. My last "battle" seems to be between horn vs planar speakers. As I can see Audio Asylum is the home of planar speakers with a specific section on the forum. Planar speakers seem a sweet option.

Some questions,

1) Are planar speakers the best option to obtain an holographic, 3D image sound?? It is said that this is the best attribute of the panels speakers. Can the horns (or any other technology) compete in this aspect??

2) Horns are really efficient speakers. Can panels compete in this aspect?? It's possible to drive panels with few watts from valve amps??

3) Are panels compatible with low level volumes??

4) It is said that panels are really difficult speakers to place in the room?? I know that they can't be near a wall but are they really problematic speakers to obtain the 100% of them??

5) Everyone is talking lately about Alsyvox speakers. Alsyvox is the brand of the Italian Daniele Coen. Curiously this brand is based on my country, Spain. I can't hear yet them personally. What is the general opinion about this speakers?? Someone has heard them??

6) Alsyvox ribbon pannels are really expensive. In general panels are less expensive than other speakers technologies but "curiously" it's not the case with Alsyvox. It is justified this price??

7) Any speaker recommendation?? I' m looking to speakers to die for. I want the most holographic experience compatible with low level volumes. Any recommendation would be appreciated. I'm open to any technology/brand??

Thanks in advance to everyone for your interest. Stay healthy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Planar vs horn vs ... - jlugovid@hotmail.com 17:46:32 11/04/21 (53)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.