Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Let's see what else you fat-fingered

The Acoustic Sounds tapes -- I currently have two of them, one borrowed -- are on RTM SM900 tape stock, which costs ME about $100 per. And you need two tapes/reels/boxes to accommodate each performance. They are dubbed from the master tapes on fully restored, ungodly expensive and nearly unobtanium Ampex tubed tape recorders from the 1960s. The packaging is unreal. Chad Kassem could have gotten away with a lot less expensive packages (you should see the MAILER) and I give him great credit for coming up with some 36 different tapes.

Now, do I recommend that everyone pop for these and other available 15 ips, 2-track, most of which cost a lot less than Chads?

No.

Open reel tape is the ultimate "hair shirt" medium. You can't quickly find any particular track on a 10.5" reel, once you've paid a bunch for a deck that will play them, that needs regular maintenance from the vanishing ranks of tape techs, most of whom are real old or dead. Just threading a reel is no piece of cake, and storing the things takes a lot of shelf space.

So why do I have so many? Sound quality. They wipe out EVERYTHING else.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Let's see what else you fat-fingered - Dave Pogue 14:03:55 11/04/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.