Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

You have not heard what your Magnepan can do if you have not played a reel-to- reel ....

Pulled out an old Crown reel to reel player that was in storage,

Loaded in a 7 1/2 speed tape of Peter Paul and Mary

Mama Mia !

first of all the dynamic range is astounding on reel to reel tape

second you know how they talk about the more relaxed sound of Vinyl ? ,,,, tape takes that to a whole new level

third the detail level is off the chart with complex harmonics, sound stage clues , difficult timbers are accurate , highs are extended , transients are dramatic and startling

male vocals more than female are extremely different on the Maggies with tape having tremendous visceral energy also like a cello .

the bottom end is rounder with a solid foundation - but absolutely not "boomey " ... on my LRS the bass extended way beyond what I though possible .... I mean it does not turn into a JBL party house speaker ,, but it goes lowwwww

as a side note several years ago I took an extremely cheap reel to reel player - maybe 100 bucks - to a local audiophiles home who had a very high end turntable and tube phono stage
it must have cost 100x the tape player. After I demoed it the guy looked like he was going to start crying.

Anyway what is my point ? Maggies and Tape are a "killer" combo

Edits: 11/03/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - You have not heard what your Magnepan can do if you have not played a reel-to- reel .... - trioderob 17:14:31 11/03/21 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.