Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What problem is a filled hollow aluminum structure meant to solve?

RG....
I just read thru the first 4 of 6 URLs.....
I might be permitted a REPHRASE? What problems does this method solve which would not be or could not be addressed by other means?
I agree that rigidity is a good design goal. but I'm less than willing to admit in the 'Build a Bridge' solution. Laminates of differing properties offer opportunites for simple damping and proper choice OF those materials also can be very rigid in practice.

I am quite certain that these goals can be reached by means other than brute force...

Don't count real wood out, just yet. From a materials standpoint, it is very near a composite with differeing modes of resonance. This in effect Self Cancels. I have suggested a couple alternatives, one of which I woud love to test. PLYBOO, is a form of Bamboo Plywood. This is considered an Engineered Material and had both high density and high rigidity.
It is available in several 'orientations' of strand AND you can also now get it as Dimensional Lumber.
This is an excetional opportunity.....

I had sent off for samples some time ago and the Strand version called 'Neopolitan' is the densest by far of all the samples I acquired. Each sample was ABOUT 4" x 4" and 3/4" thick.

Too much is never enough

Edits: 11/02/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What problem is a filled hollow aluminum structure meant to solve? - pictureguy 19:18:03 11/02/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.