Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I had a left image shift too

I dealt with a left shift too and the solution was not a simple one cause answer and the solution actually evolved over a rather long period of discoveries.

I read through the replies so far, and there are some great answers and ideas that are ALL worth considering.

In my case, my 1.6 setup was originally located in the family room and the right side of that room has no wall and opens to the dining room. I always assumed that was the culprit and lived with adjusting my balance control with a little bit more gain on the right channel for many years.

The thing that was strange is that the shift seemed to change slightly from time to time. Some days required a little more balance compensation than other days. Looking back, the shift was bothering me more over a period of years, but was coming on so slowly that I didn't put that into perspective without hindsight.

This past year I moved my system to a small, but symmetrical dedicated audio room. The left shift was gone! ...... or so I thought. One day after the move the left shift was back. WTH? It wasn't as much, but there it was again. The plan with the move was to replace my aging system piece by piece anyhow, so I figured I would find the offending component eventually. It turned out to be my ancient, but still very good sounding preamp. An Adcom GFP-750. It had the worst possible issue- an intermittent part failure in the right channel that would be there one day and gone the next. This was no doubt going on for many years and partially explains the changing severity of the left channel bias in the family room setup.

That pretty much solved the whole issue and it was a combination of two factors; the asymmetrical room and the intermittent preamp. I say pretty much because there's one more small, but perceivable issue that crops up occasionally. Again, it's a very small skew of the image to the left, but it seems to be frequency dependent. I only noticed it on certain days and it would go away. Well, it turns out that I have mild tinnitus in my right ear. My brain has "mapped out" the baseline level of the deficit, so normally everything seems normal. If I stress my ear, say exposing it to unprotected power tool use, it aggravates the tinnitus into a flare up that causes the perceptive change in my stereo system. Now that I'm aware of this issue, I'm much more careful to use hearing protection for almost everything I do, even briefly driving a nail for example. This getting older thing (now 61) can throw some humbling curve balls your way!

I know this was a long reply, but I thought it was worth sharing my experience. Like I said at the beginning of this reply, ALL of the suggestions I've read here are on the table and it just might be more than one thing going on. Good luck and good listening!
-Joe

They're not that big!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.