Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Nope! First audition was magic, in Albuquerque, NM

Was 1987.

There were 2 big dealers in ABQ back then. One had Magnepan, and one had Apogee. Oh - one or the other also had B&W.

At the time? I listened to Apogee Duetta (not a big fan), Scintilla (HECK YEAH!), and Diva (torn between Scinnie & Diva) - all driven by Krell amps. Listened to B&W 801 Matrix, also driven by Krell. And? At the other location, heard Magnepan MG3(?) driven by... possibly ARC solid state amps.

Maggies were a fair bit less expensive than the Apogees (or the B&W Matrix,) but I thought they sounded quite lively & "punchy."

The 801s sounded pretty pure, and? No matter how much you turned the volume up, they just didn't distort. Only way you know it was so loud was because you couldn't hear someone trying to talk to you.

Still? Favorites were probably the Scintillas (though? Divas were tri-amped with KRS amps, and... damn amazing.)

Only time I heard Maggies sound "bad?" MG-20s, in San Diego. Think it was ML amplification, and just seemed "bright" and no "meat on the bones." PRETTY sure they simply hadn't been broken in.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nope! First audition was magic, in Albuquerque, NM - David S. 08:47:50 10/29/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.