Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Need light weight amps to drive Mg 1.7 after loss of Emotiva's

Utley1,

I read of lots of folks choosing tube preamps to pair with class D amps, I have no experience here. AA inmate Feanor has posted about this, using a couple of different tube pre's with his Purifi.

In a room the size of yours I would believe the NC1200 would be a much better choice than thr Puifi, particularly for Maggie's. The NC1200 is rated at 40 amps current.

The Purify in my small almost square room (12x14) has plenty of power. The input gain is at 19 (can be set to 26) and I normally listen with the volume control at about 9 o-clock, never higher than 12 o-clock.

I really think you would be better served by the NC1200 in a bigger room though.

PS Audio has some nice (albeit more spendy) options available using the IcePower modules, as does Wyred4Sound.

As for A/B amps, check out the link to the new Audio by Van Alstein A/B 300watts into 4 ohm amps that weigh in at 17 lbs a piece (that's class D territory in terms of weight). Frank Van Alstein makes very nice stuff. These run $1699 each.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.