Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 or 3.6 -small room!

Hey Stefano, 1.7 or 3.6? the 3.6 is the better speaker, hands down. Will it work in that room? need more feedback..... is it typical European with stone floors, walls + ceiling? is it a living(family) room or dedicated listening room with total freedom for room treatment? is it a closed room or is there a open side somewhere?

If it's a typical stone(cement) closed In room then the biggest problem with a 3.6 will be clean bass reproduction. Depth +3 dimension imaging is a question of proper positioning, that won't differ much between a 1.7 or 3.6. In that room, depth + 3 dimension imaging is easy to achieve. The real question you should be asking yourself is, can I achieve a clean bass response with 3.6s in that room? 3.6s beat 1.7s in most areas, but also produce significantly more lower energy.

On the other hand, if depth + imaging is your thing, then I would grab the 3.6s any day over 1.7s.

My advice for that room would be, Maggies on the short wall, Tweeters 5ft from front wall, ears 5ft from back wall, tweets out, Maggies close to side walls(8-10in), tweets firing at ears, dial it in with a mono rec. That should get you going, then its down to room acoustics, treatment, equipment + cabling.

Good hunting!

let us know which way you go........

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.