Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Shipping Company Recommendation for Sound Lab Speakers?

I shipped my Milleniums back to SL roughly 15/20 years ago. At that time, SL was still in UT and was recommending Old Dominion.

When the OD driver came to the house to collect the crates, the fellow was very nice and seemed to understand the handling of large and fragile freight. I was more or less satisfied with letting them have my Milleniums. It was only on the return trip that I became upset with them.

SL notified me upon shipping them back. Over two weeks later, I had still not heard anything from Old Dominion about delivery. Several days after that, I received a Post Card in the mail....written in more than one colour of crayon (Yes...I said crayon. I still have it around here someplace) saying that my crates were ready for delivery/collection. Apparently, someone had their kid write it out...or so the handwriting implied. Very professional.

I phoned them up at the local depot (which is only about five miles from my house), and after being handed off two or three times to various people, I was finally connected with someone who knew what I was talking about. He seemed somewhat relieved to hear from me. Says he ....they had tried to telephone me (only ONE time) to arrange delivery. And when they didn't receive an answer they mailed me that postcard.

Now, I was really quite perplexed about this as I had not had ANY recording in my voicemail about the matter. That, however, was quickly explained when the fellow told me that they didn't leave a message. Well...why didn't you call back? I am retired and there is almost always someone here to answer calls. 'Well....we only call one time. We never make more than one call.'

Arrangements were made to get my crates back (OVER a week later...the earliest that OD could find the time)...my crates arrived.....soaking wet. Clearly, when they couldn't deliver them, OD left them outside someplace on a loading dock and just let them sit there for several weeks until I came looking for them. I won't even mention that (contrary to the clear markings on the crates) when the fellow opened the back of the truck....the crates were lying flat on their faces and not upright as they should have been. I can only hope that wasn't the orientation in which they trucked them all the way here from Utah.....but I'll never know.

Luckily, the panels HAD indeed been securely wrapped and therefore HAD avoided the worst of the water. But the wood of the crates had absorbed so much that they sat open in my garage for nearly three weeks before they fully dried out. No water got through to the panels....but I'm sure the damp environment inside the crates was not the best.

I phoned SL up and told them about all of this. The woman I spoke with listened sympathetically....but it was clear they weren't going to do anything about it nor change their practices. No doubt, they didn't bother to take the issue up with Old Dominion either.

So....I've no suggestions about whom you should ship with. But that was my experience with the company that SL recommended. Needless to say, it's a mistake I'll only make one time.

....sT

Edits: 07/26/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Shipping Company Recommendation for Sound Lab Speakers? - Simon Templar 23:28:43 07/26/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.