Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mini maggie crossover remade

Inductor in the 1.6 is 15ga and is about 0.40 ohms. You should be able to measure THAT, I'm sure.

Most of the aircores are about 1/2 that and since the driver is about 4ohms, it will tip the respons UP in the bass maybe 1 db or so. I'm not going to calculate just yet.

Other problems with OTS (Off The Shelf) inductors are 2 fold. First? Difficulty getting the exact specified value. Typically you will get a 'dewind' to meet that spec. Second? Virtually ALL commercial inductors are of Sub-Optimum shape. Using WIRE as and example, perfect inductors REGARDLESS of core size, have the same number of TURNS per LAYER as LAYERS. That gives a square inductor......Maximum tween-layer interaction.
Using an online calculator, you can run thru a bunch of similattions fairly quickly and decide what is best.
For example? If your inductor is 16ga, you can use 13ga or 14ga and MORE wire and still end up with the same DCR. Play with core size and the other entries until you get a square inductor. Perfect.
I'd ALSO tend to use PVC sizes as the core. Wax it up so you can remove it easily for putting in the WARM oven to cure the epoxy......
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.