Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

surgery on any of the 'i' series

As best I can discern, there is no difference in the crossovers of the non-i models v. the i models. Beyond modifying the crossover, the usual Maggie tweaks (wood frames, losing the jumpers and fuse, etc) would be the same and there would not be a reason to post.
I did contemplate doing surgery on the 3.7i but decided against for two reasons: 1) The 3.7i (and 3.7) has a pile of caps and replacing with "higher grade" would cost a fortune and the expected improvement would be small and 2) conversion to a parallel crossover topology with the goal of going to biamping was more difficult than I anticipated. This would have been relatively cheap as I already owned two identical amplifiers and an active crossover (XM-44). While in theory any series XO can be converted to a parallel XO in actuality this was not the case. The reason being that a series XO always results in a flat output but my attempts at an equivalent parallel configuration resulted in a "bump" at the XO frequency. I did work out a parallel XO for the 1.7(i) but, since I didn't own a pair, it was just an exercise of the mind.

P.S. For Davey: The failure to get a flat output curve with the 3.7, I believe, was due to the mid-driver being 8 ohm while the woofer and tweeter were 4 ohm. When I made the impedance of all 3 drivers the same the curve flattened out.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 07/17/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.