Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The elusive "i" ???

"I thought that had been settled at that time, that the crossover was the change. I think Magnepan would 'upgrade; for a fee....the 'Non-I' issue."

Well, yes and no.

Yes, Magnepan did offer to perform the "i" revision to existing 1.7 and 3.7 speakers for a reasonable cost, but safely packing the speakers for shipping and all shipping cost both ways were the owners responsibility. Some thought that was a fair deal others did not.

The main debate however, that continues to this day as far as I know, is that Magnepan would not reveal what the "i" revision entailed. Sighting proprietary trade secrets, their official statement on the revision was that their listening panel unanimously concluded that the revision improved the speakers performance, but that they felt the change did not warrant a full .8 designation. They stated that the .7 and 20.7 models already included the "i" design changes and would not need an "i" identifier. They made the offer to owners of 1.7 and 3.7 speakers to perform the revision at the factory at the owner's own discretion.

Following that there has been a great deal of speculation as to what the "i" revision was, with very little direct, verifiable evidence. I have made a reasonable attempt to do that here.

We will most likely never know for sure.

-Joe

They're not that big!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The elusive "i" ??? - Joe Schmo 07:31:16 04/12/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.