Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The elusive "i" ???

I thought that had been settled at that time, that the crossover was the change. I think Magnepan would 'upgrade; for a fee....the 'Non-I' issue.

As for inductors?

First? there are 2 main types. Aircore and Ironcore. Any of the solids qualify fo that.

Such inductorss can be made over a wide range of configurations for any given inductance value. In general? Number of layers.....and number of turns PER LAYER.

But in order to fit the speaker, you may choose one type over another. This means you also choose wire size based only in part on maximum power handling. Resistance of the inductor also plays no small part.

An Example? My MG1.6 uses an ironcore in the low-pass circuit. It is 16ga wire and 0.40Ohms while being 3.5mh in value.
The last? I can't rmember offhand.
But when I was thinking to UPGRADE my crossover, I discovered that nobody made that exact value, but would instead DEWind a higher value for me.
So I did some research.

And I discovered the OPTIMIUM INDUCTOR has the same number of turns per layer as layers. Typically, an airfare has a LOWER Resistance than Iron for the same inductance. At least the ones sold use THAT a a 'selling point. But what if you want the new within say..... 5% of the old? DIY is the answer.
And don't forget that changing the inductor resistance will ALSO change the frequency balance. Lower DCR of the inductor results in a louder output. Thicker wire just means you will NEVER be able to over power this inductor while and ironcore can saturate....BOOOOO

I ran many siulations thru an online calculator. I found that I could get the same reisitivity out of an aircore and have thicker wire AND a reasonable overall size......Aircore can be gigantic, under certain condtions.
I used in my model, STOCK PVC sizes. Nut / bolt an axle with 'side plates' to limit the width. Add a couple feet for leadouts.

Copper Magnet Wire is getting expensive. But you want wire that has NOT bee 'respooled' and potentially nicked or abused.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.