Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The elusive "i" ???

I agree. The white capacitor in the 1.7 appears to be made by RTI from what I can see in that top photo. Apparently RTI was sold to API Tech in 2012. It does not appear that RTI audio capacitors were made under that name/spec after that time. This was about the same time, or shortly thereafter that the "i" designation appeared on the 1.7 and 3.7 speakers.

I don't see any visible markings through the sock on the three white caps that have replaced the RTI and Axon caps of the 1.7, so who knows where they are sourced from, but they are different.

On closer examination, the inductor is different looking too. The one in the 1.7 looks identical to an Erse IXQ model. The one that is now in the 1.7i has a different looking bobbin. Could the "i" designation be as obvious as a different spec inductor? LOL

The blue axial lead bipolar electrolytic cap and the black Erse Pulse X cap from the 1.7 look unchanged in the 1.7i.

The crossover in the 1.7 is definitely not the same as the crossover in the 1.7i. It's a slightly different layout and different components. Everything else besides the crossover appear to be identical between the two models. Based on these observed differences, I believe that the "i" revision was the crossover.

-Joe

They're not that big!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.