Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How to measure Magneplanars

I've been using a DEQX with my MG 3.6 for years. Measuring it was pretty much like any other speaker, though I did try to put the mic farther away than I would for a monkey coffin. The hard part always is avoiding reflections.
As the window you need to use is going to be too short to accurately measure bass, measuring the low end is always tricky and when you go to EQ things down below about 150 Hz there's something of an art to it. When I work to set up the low end, I look at graphs I make and I also use warble tones and an SPL meter. Iterate enough over a few weeks and you can get good sound.

I would caution folks against spending too much time fiddling with EQ in a single session, some kind of aural confusion or fatigue sets in and your ability to critically judge the sound of the frequency range you are working to balance can elude you. Better to come at it another day with "fresh ears."

I've gotten what I think are very good results with the DEQX, to which I add some manually set parametric EQ points which I **think** help compensate for room modes, but which may actually be just personal preference.

Here is a plot of the correction filters my DEQX designed, please note that this is also compensating for differing gain levels in the amplifiers that drive the low, mid and tweeter drivers of my MG 3.6

Results for both MG 3.6 speakers were close to each other as you can see from the different colors in the plot.

Very likely that some room correction got "built in" to the woofer filter. I know I have a strong room mode at 50 Hz and you can see a dip in filter response at 50 Hz.

Note that these are NOT frequency response graphs- they are the "correction filters" my MG 3.6's need to bring them close to + / - 1 dB from ~100 Hz to 20,000

Note the increasing level of boost above about 15 kHz. I can't hear much above 12 kHz so I don't care about that, really. Maybe the tweeters do, but so far they have not burned our nor have fuses opened, so I am OK with that boost.

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 03/24/21 03/24/21 03/24/21 03/26/21 03/26/21 03/26/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How to measure Magneplanars - triamp 16:13:02 03/24/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.