Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: John Nork reviews the 1.7i

Undeniably Magnepan is having a great run these past 18 months or so with the LRS and the peek-a-boo 30.7 / condo combo and doesn't appear to be slowing down much either. Regarding the 30.7 I say 'peek-a-boo' because they're often brought up bur rarely seen...doesn't really matter, both made Magnepan the talk of the audio town by grabbing audio mags covers and websites every month.

Wendell is either a marketing genius or one of the luckiest guys in world- both rightfully so -his unconventional 'road show' seems to have paid off in a huge way.

Which brings us to the 1.7i. I owned a pair of 1.7 (not 'i') briefly after a broken wing pair (bad bass panel after he supposedly tried to perform a XO upgrade) showed up locally dirt cheap. I figured the owner was unfamiliar enough with Maggies to fix it and it would be a quick and easy fix for me. Well turns out it wasn't as easy (nor obvious) as I initially thought and gave up on them after a week or two ultimately selling them what I paid for them.

Anyway my point being the 1.7i hasn't gotten much attention due to the enormous success of the LRS which is essentially a scaled down version of the 1.7i. With the 1.7i you get everything the LRS offers at a greater, larger scale including bass, sound stage and presentation. The trade off being the LRS is absolutely perfect for smaller rooms and are inexpensive enough to budget a decent power amp (or tube amp) whereas the 1.7i can easily dominate a small room, and the price of admission to get them in 4th gear can be substantial amp-wise.

Having once owned the LRS (bought them out of curiosity) I can say the hype is well warranted and the urge to upgrade to the 1.7i always lingered in the back of mind- which I guess is Magnepan's marketing strategy all along. Not to mention a great investment, I sold them slightly over list price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.