Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Why do electrostatics sound better after the high voltage has been on for a while?

well have to disagree on the tubes. Mine need a good 20 minutes minimum and that's been a condition for any of the tube amps I've owned or repaired, which have been many for myself and customers. I have it down now to 2 keeper SS amps and all they need is 5 minutes, maybe 6 or 10 because I haven't actually timed with a stop watch. One is a true Class A that runs hot and warms quick.

I've been keeping data on all my equipment for the last 6 years to see if there is any benefit to now turning the amps off because, like you, I used to keep them on all the time except for the tube amps. My interest was to ascertain any distinct advantage either way especially for longevity, sound, and replacement of the pwr supply caps. None whatsoever that is definitive. The boutique caps in power supplies are the most vulnerable however, like the Rubycon 'The Muse' in my DIY phono pre. All I do is fire it up within a day and it's ok, any longer than that requires a bit of time improvement which is clearly audible. The price to replace them today, if they can even be found NOS, is ridiculously high on the order of 500 each.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why do electrostatics sound better after the high voltage has been on for a while? - Story 17:17:39 03/15/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.