Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "That's an interesting experiment" ...

I have played around a lot with different setups between 1.6 and subs last 5 years... I share same experience - sealed is a good general route to go and at least 2 subs, one per side behind mains near corners. Room modes will help bottom end of subs, but you need to run PEQ to tame and make them sing correctly so it not becomes a boomy/one note bass sound... Phase is also a key to make them integrate. It is important to have some knowledge to make a sub integrate well. Actual room and setup are what it comes down to.

However, I have experienced that Maggies do clean/tight bass quite well in untreated rooms due to its dipole design. If you add a dynamic sub you will hear a lot more of that boomy, one note, sound. Dipole seems to be more forgiving generally with room acoustics.

I have tried both extra Maggie bass panels and 3-4 different ordinary dynamic subs. Bass reflex was not able to match due to lack of speed (I guess) and adding Maggie bass panel was not pleasing enough in the punch area so I ended up with multiple subs in closed cabinets. I believe dynamic drivers in dipole config can be even better and Rythmiks with servo systems the end of the road???

However, if you know what you are doing and relief Maggies around 80hz with 12-24 dB HP and work with phase/distance and have a parametrical EQ at hand you will end up with a great sounding system. This will bring clarity to the panels when going little louder. The only down side to Maggie design is bass slam and attack (IMHO) and some music needs well integrated subs to please me, some music not. You pick speakers upon music taste. But I can be wrong about attack as it can be my large room that is playing tricks on me. But I seldom here people talk about Magnepan speakers when it comes to moving air. Rock and EDM sounds thin and bright on lonely Magnepans, but heavenly on less processed genres.

I run my setup through a HT receiver to get it right with filters and distance through mic setup, EQ and a Velodyne SMS-1, but that

Edits: 03/11/21 03/11/21 03/11/21 03/11/21 03/12/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.