Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan LRS

How did FIR filters get into this?
My panels are low 80s sensitive and I just was looking at Klipsch speakers which THEY call 99db sensitive but Stereophile calls >96db.....Magnpan makes some claim but at 2 watts / 2.83v not the 4 ohm requirement for same 1 watt.

You lost me with the filter thing.....Though I'm used to the 10db / 10x calculation. If my panels were 10db LOWER in sensitivity OR my amps 10db lower in output? I'd be running nearly at redline when turned 'up' on a weekend afternoon...

And I've seen plenty of power / distortion curves @stereophile. Starts at some low level at miniscule power than slopes lower until hitting a null than more sharply upward to amp power limit....Call it 1%, just for the sake of discussion. That may play into 'needed' power for a given speaker in some way.
But it would also seem that distortion is either inaudible or of vanishingly Low audibility run below amp clipping, IF you agree 1% is a reasonable upper limit.

Link to the MiniDSP 'mini' article on FIR vs IIR Filters. All done or CAN be done in the digital domain which starts me asking more questions.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.