Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Crossover freq for RD75's

LOL -- a large sound room would be first on my list for a new house as well. :-)

I had the same buzzing problem with the mids on my IVA's. It looks like they segmented the driver by sticking the diaphragm to pieces of foam tape and after 40 years the tape is loosening up. I used to fix them temporarily by pressing down on the tape when they started to buzz. I suppose you could make a capo of sorts for the front, keeping a really low profile to minimize diffraction. Or you could drill a bolt hole through everything and hope that you miss the magnets and conductors, yikes.

I also found that the mids had delaminated near the tape and fixed that.

Cool about the Pass XO. These diffusers would be hard to build -- not only do you have to cut all the pieces (which people have done), but some of the surfaces are faceted, so you'd have to do that as well. I bought the Vicoustic DC-2. If you want to DIY a diffuser, a 2D QRD is much easier to build than a skyline -- emailtim is the expert on that, he did some beautiful work. AFAIK, there's no real advantage to a 3D diffuser with full height line sources.

You can buy the Vicoustics here, but they're cheaper if you order them from Thomann in Germany -- 336 Euros including shipping for the six I have (I'm thinking of getting six more). I got the EPS rather than the wood version, because it's cheaper and much lighter so it's easier to experiment with. Based on their data, the EPS version has more effective diffusion than the wooden ones, but also more absorption (painting helps with that). But I always wonder whether you can hear the lively resonance of styrofoam. I wonder if putting damping sheets on the rear would help with that? Painting would tend to damp the resonance too, or add mass, shifting it to a lower frequency. In any case, I haven't yet done any experiments to try to ascertain whether it makes a difference.

I prefer these to my QRD diffusers because with the QRD's I hear the lobing when I move my head.

Here's the impulse response of my left channel (the worse one) with diffusion and some absorption and diffusion in back:

As you can see, everything is below -15 dB in the critical region below 40 ms except for a spike that I haven't tracked down yet. That's much better than it was -- it was up at -10 dB -- and some would say it's enough, though you generally aim for -20 dB in a control room. I'm hoping with some work to get it that low. If your early reflections are higher, you won't believe how much of a difference lowering them makes! The image opens up dramatically, becomes spacious rather than flat and congested.

I've made some pretty good improvements in the waterfall as well with just minimal bass trapping. One nice thing about dipoles is that they really don't need much room treatment.

Edits: 02/20/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Crossover freq for RD75's - josh358 10:59:20 02/15/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.