Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: nice,

Here is what I wrote up for the old Apogee forum:

My thanks go to Henk for correctly identifying the source of my Duetta woofer buzz and suggesting a solution. The problem stems from deterioration of the foam dampers surrounding the woofer diaphragm. As they disintegrate the aluminum conductor begins to make contact with the hard wood clamp causing a buzzing sound. The buzz emanates from the conductor itself and not the clamp. Since the conductor is corrugated it is the raised portion of the aluminum that buzzes as it vibrates against the clamp - just like a tin can would buzz if set in a sink with the disposal running. I know many of you Duetta owners are experiencing the same problem, and if your not now you will be in the not too distant future as the environment and use take its toll on the foam. My feeling is if the buzzing is not eliminated the aluminum will eventually wear out at the point of contact and cause the driver to fail. Fortunately Henk suggested a solution which I implemented and refined and will now share with the rest of the group. The standard apogee work cautions apply to remove all metal objects from your pockets and work area in addition to keeping your fingernails short.

I experimented with a couple of foam types and found the Frost King, "Vinyl Foam Weatherseal Self Stick Tape" to work very well. Obtain the ¾" X 3/16" X 17' roll package which says 3 year warranty (I am certain it will last a lot longer) and moderate compression. It is grey in color.

Lay the speaker down on a large box or low table and remove the speaker's supports and cover. Reattach the support legs and stand the speaker up. You should work with the speaker standing up and not laying down so that you do not accidentally damage the woofer with the tape roll as you work. Carefully remove the top and bottom dampers by unscrewing them and very slowly lifting them off (the yellow Kapton showing between the conductors is sticky). Note that the rear beige material may be stapled to the top clamp as it was with one of my speakers. Before removing the clamp pry the staples out with a small screwdriver to release the material. Scrape the rotten foam off the dampers with a putty knife and replace it with a piece of new foam.

Unravel enough foam to reach from the top of the speaker to the floor with the roll lying on the floor (be careful as the tape adhesive is now exposed and it is very sticky). Beginning on one side of the woofer frame attach the free end of the tape to the top of the clamp side perpendicular to the ribbon (not on the ribbon!). The area is the same width as the tape, ¾". Start 1mm from the edge of the clamp closest to you and gently press the tape on with a rolling motion from the outside edge toward the ribbon edge. You will notice the tape pushing on the ribbon as you attach it. You need this slight force to make sure contact is made with the conductor after the tape compresses. In my trials I found if the contact weren't adequate it would be ineffective an hour after the foam compresses. Keeping that 1mm gap work your way down the length of the ribbon and cut the tape at the other clamp end. Repeat for the other side of the driver. Replace the two dampers tightening the screws only enough to keep the damper in place and pushing on the ribbon. Lay the speaker back down, remove the supports, reattach the cover, put the supports back on and enjoy buzz free sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.