Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Does my room rule out Magnepans?

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I was you, If you demo these at a dealer set up decently and like what you hear, don't expect to hear the same in your home situation.

18" from the front wall will leave you with a flat soundstage and hardly any image depth, 6 feet apart and sitting 9 feet away will result in a soundstage lacking width. Sitting against a back wall will reinforce(too much) bass, combining that with speakers close to a front wall will result in a lot of room interaction causing smear. You could consider .7's or LRS's which would probably benefit from rear wall bass reinforcement, but lose out in other area's, in the end, these negatives will apply to any speaker set up this way.

A set-up as drawn in your diagram will never sound great, sure, it will sound like music, but thats about it.

Now, if you could pull that couch 3-4 feet of the back wall, slide those 1.7's 3-4 feet of the front wall and pull them 8-9 feet apart............ then your starting to get somewhere, with any speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.