Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

New 40KHz Super Tweeter

Well not really, just more measuring experiments.

I created a loopback that measures the response of a USB soundcard, the PC and a USB DAC measured through 192KHz linear phase (pass thru) convolution FIR filters running in JRMC to see what gets sent to the amps and speakers. I was also curious to see what JRMC was doing.

In doing so, I decided to measure each of the Sabre DAC's linear and minimum phase filters.

By using 192KHz sampling rates, most of the differences in the filters get pushed out past 20KHz. Doing the same measurements using 44.1KHz or 48KHz sampling rates, all of the deltas on the right get pushed left under 22KHz.

When someone asks why high resolution, the above shows the signal is much flatter from 20Hz-20KHz by doing so.

It also demonstrates your room has much more linearity impact on the sound than contemporary upstream hardware.

Here are the phase differences of the various Sabre DAC filters measured at 96KHz sampling rates. These phase differences also get pushed up or down in frequency based on the sample rate.

From the measurements, FRLP (Fast Rolloff, Linear Phase) has the widest, flattest frequency and phase results of the 7 filters.

NOTE: All of the plots were with "NO SMOOTHING" to show all of the warts.

2022/03/30 Historical Records CENSORED

Edits: 01/22/21 01/22/21 01/22/21 01/22/21 01/22/21 01/22/21 01/22/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - New 40KHz Super Tweeter - emailtim 20:12:17 01/22/21 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.