Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

While we are talking about Steve's Tympanis...

I had these for a year and used the 0.5mH inductors that I use on my MG-IIIas in the tweeter attenuator on Steve's IVas. Since I need them for my IIIa I left Steve with a place for something. To get started he can easily jam a chunk of speaker wire into those two spots and bolt it down.

Would folks consider using the inductors as was discussed here a decade ago? I know I like the change it made in the sound of the IIIa taking the shrill out of the tweet.

As to the III/IIIa crossover vs. the IVa crossover, if Steve wants to upgrade the parts on the external crossovers, I'm damn sure he will use the values of the components in his boxes and not the ones in the how to that I suggested he look at to see what a crossover upgrade is.

The stock crossover for the IIIa is from the rebuild
18dB/300Hz Low Pass
12dB/500Hz High Pass
12dB/2500Hz Low Pass
12dB/4400Hz High Pass

The IVa has from the diagram an incomplete list not specifying the complete tweeter LP/HP combo
18dB/250HZ Low Pass
12dB/400Hz High Pass
12dB/2700Hz

It is obvious that some cap values will be different and inductors might change but really it ain't rocket science and Steve can decide if he wants to get better parts and use those instead of the bulk buy parts Magnepan used to build the crossovers 30 years ago.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • While we are talking about Steve's Tympanis... - kff 11:15:49 01/20/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.