Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Look at MUG For the III and IIIa crossovers and

It is always a good thing to get famliar with these speakers as they are before doing anything to them. I would advice to have the mid/tweeter panels detached from the bass panels (require extra feet).

I would replace the external crossover with an active crossover. You will need two more channels of power amplification. You can use something like a miniDSP and play with various setups of the crossover. If you want an analog solution, you may need to customise the slopes as Magnepan use non-textbook slopes.

Not sure about the internal crossover, it is unusual to place the coils that way, they will interact. If you pick the coils out and place them "as they should be", I think the crossover characteristics changes. In other words, if you build the crossover externally the values may need to be changed.

Schematic: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/mikebarney/Tympani-4a_xo.gif

Do you know what ribbon tweeters yours have? The original were 3 Ohm bit often failed due to the very thin foil. Second version were 2 Ohm + a 1 Ohm resistor.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.