Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Thoughts on the 1.7, upgrade amp or XO parts?

Hello you guys,

I am new, but i've been lurkin on this board once in a while, when i had the upgrade itch creepin' up.

I am in The Netherlands and now owning my third pair of Magnepans. Firstly i was introduced to the magic by a friend of friend, who had them since the seventies or something. I bought my first second hand pair of 1.5's. I was soon caught by the virus. Had some delamination problems but got that sorted. Biggest problem was finding a amp to make them sound better. I had a big Vincent at the time but was not satisfied. Got my hands on a Chinese Bada, the awesome Purer SE which puts out 80 watts in class A and gets very hot. After a few years I could buy a newer set, a pair of MG12's. Did the bypass the attenuator and fuse tweak and put better sockets on them. I was very satisfied with these speakers. But I was always curious if the newer series would give me better sound.

So this summer I saw a pair of 1.7's on the Marketplace. Seldomly seen in Holland. So now proud owner of them. Immediatly did the standerd by-pass tweaks, but now with two sets real copper binding postst.

I must say I hear that the sound is better, as in more open, more details, better highs. But is still miss something compared to the 12's They seemed to have more beef... anyone recognizes this? And I think the sound of loud trumpet, Miles Davis style, is a bit to bright. Any one recognize that?

I've been thinking of upgrading the Chinese amp but budget is limeted. Auditioned the Hegel H90 here in my home for two weeks. Had to burn in yet. Awesome amp, it has lots of controle over them. Faster then the class A beast. But I was not blown away. The differences where slight and not to say one is better. The class A has tubes in the pre, so warm it is.. maybe to much, the Hegel maybe to cold of analytic instead of musical?

To better this amp I have to spend waaaaay more then it costed or the 1.7's costed... so i decided to stay with the amp. Until it breaks down ;-)

Then what? Upgrade the crossover parts? Buy the kit from GS Research? No reviews available. Does any one have experience with that? I used to look a lot at PG's site and dreaming of doing some of that myself. But these look to good to tear them apart.

Thanks for taking time to read thu. Any advice welcome.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Thoughts on the 1.7, upgrade amp or XO parts? - Branko 13:48:29 01/07/21 (38)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.