Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

here's a good, decent economy/budget sub

took the day off and decided to organize my garage and get rid of some clothes from my bedroom dresser. I have a not-so big dresser; definitely not big enough for Summer and Winter clothes. I brought some boxes home from work and got to it. Once I was satisfied I'll never fit 1/2 my clothes anymore I bagged them up took them to the AMVET thrift store.

My intent was to simply drop them off and speed off but since it was a nice day I decided to head on in the main store and look at (if any) audio gear they had.

Boy did they ever, I've gone to this store MANY times before and never saw the selection of receivers, cd changers and small speakers on display. I'm guessing with folks staying home, they're basically what I'm doing, getting rid of stuff out of boredom.

Well as soon as I was done eyeballing the receivers and all the tiny speakers I turned and notice a box on the floor which said 'Velodyne subwoofer' on it.

Problem was another guy closer to it saw me eyeballing it and went for a gander. I decided to act uninterested and went the other way looking again at the receivers hoping he'd wonder what all the fuss was where I was.

I looked back and he's now checking the model number on his cell phone -not a good sign lol..

A little sigh of relief as I noticed him leaving without it and I wandered over to it and checked the driver, it was fine. The cabinet was scratched up a little but other than that it appeared ok.

I looked at the price: $40 and then said to myself 'well if the amp's blown I can run it off my Bryston 3bst I just bought.

Fortunately no need to, I plugged it in and it powered right up.

Have it playing right now along with my MG20s.

The sub is the Velodyne VX-11, a 10 incher which I think originally sold for about $150 although I see one going for $129 online.

It's a decent little guy and has some good punch in it and it's also quick. I'm thinking for that price you could afford two with an LRS or even 1.7i.

I'll most likely add mine to my Gunned MMGs and possibly add another sometime down the line.

Tomorrow I just might hit some other thrift stores (there's a few in that general vicinity alone).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - here's a good, decent economy/budget sub - Green Lantern 18:22:23 11/27/20 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.