Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What speaker cables do you use with your Maggies?

Yep. Not sure what the stigma is. I consulted with a worldwide expert on cables and audio and he basically said that thin cable would be ok with magnepans:

However, with Magepans as with electrostatic speakers, it is my understanding they tend not to depend strongly on electromagnetic damping.... so as a consequence, resistance in the loudspeaker cables as well as the output impedance of the power amplifier are not strong factors in controlling the low frequency response that relate to damping. In fact they may work quite well with current drive where the electromagnetic damping is for all practical purposes zero. The main effect of using thin wire is to introduces resistance (inching towards current drive...) but this will attenuate the signal reaching the loudspeakers (potential division) especially if this resistance becomes comparable with the input impedance of the loudspeaker. So if the input impedance was around 4 ohm and the total wire resistance was 4 ohm there would be a 6 dB signal loss. So for ''tis reason the wire resistance needs to be significantly lower than the loudspeaker input impedance. However, I do not think electromagnetic damping is a major factor in your case.... of course there are loudspeakers where this is important. So I suggest you enjoy your thin wire loudspeaker cables but do check you are not loosing too much signal... if this is a problem you can always add some additional parallel strands of enamelled copper wire. Keep any signal loss to less than 1 dB.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.