In Reply to: RE: Try Kent's panels :) (nt) posted by Story on October 9, 2020 at 04:48:00:
Unfortunately no matter how well maintained none of them are working close to spec. any longer Given the materials that were used at the time especially the film in the bass panels it just isn't possible. Even if one was lucky enough to find a NOS pair, never opened or used, they would be way out of spec.
That doesn't mean one should rebuild them. I work with people all the time that aren't having issues and hesitate to rebuild them. If the speakers don't have any problems and one is happy with them I say leave them alone!
They are however a far cry from what they once were, what they can be. All of them are very old at this point. My personal pair was produced in 1959, never been touched since they left the factory, still work nicely. But they are way out of spec. I don't plan on rebuilding them since I always have rebuilt speakers around and I like the fact they are factory original and never been touched.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Outstanding Quad Service - email@example.com 10:53:14 10/07/20 (14)
- RE: Outstanding Quad Service - George S. Roland 08:56:18 10/09/20 (1)
- RE: Outstanding Quad Service - BE 13:39:20 10/10/20 (0)
- +1 (nt) - farfetched 17:21:57 10/08/20 (0)
- +1 (nt) - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 15:35:32 10/07/20 (0)
- RE: Outstanding Quad Service - Sondek 14:15:35 10/07/20 (0)
- I'm very glad there is SOMEBODY here in USA for - Story 11:45:35 10/07/20 (8)
- Try Kent's panels :) (nt) - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 11:58:05 10/08/20 (7)
- RE: Try Kent's panels :) (nt) - Story 13:35:50 10/08/20 (6)
- RE: Try Kent's panels :) (nt) - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 14:16:49 10/08/20 (5)
- RE: Try Kent's panels :) (nt) - Story 04:48:00 10/09/20 (4)