Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: VTV Amplifier - Hypex and Purifi Amps

I tried many positions with the DWMs in the conventional setup with tweeters out as well as the Rooze setup. I placed them right against the wall at various distances in front, behind and aligned with the 3.7s. I measured the results each time with the DWMs and 3.7s alone and combined.

I know there is "folklore" about DWMs and 3.7s combining to respond "mid-20s" but I didn't see anything much under 30Hz.

What I did see was improved low end for the DWMs when up against the side wall ... a bit extended below 40Hz. And I saw improved mid-bass for the DWMs when 3-4 feet out into the room. What I need to complement my 3.7s is to fill in nulls aroun 70Hz and between 100 and 150Hz, so I optimized the positions out into the room.

I also aligned phase between the 3.7 and DWM each side using REW Impulse Response and Phase measurements. So I'm sure they're aligned.

In the midst of this I experimented with wooden baffles attached to the 3.7s on the woofer side. They're made from 12x72x1 inch oak boards, two of them hinged so I could expand them to two feet or fold to one foot. What I found was the baffles resulted in a boost of about 5db 80-120Hz peaking at 100Hz.

Note that I still have a big resonance peak at 40Hz and small ones above 100Hz, but I correct them with Dirac Live. Overall though the response is much more uniform with the DWMs.

Here's a diagram of my current setup.

Agilist, Musician, Photographer, Audiophile
Magneplanar: 3.7, CCR, MC1,LRS, MMGW, DWM; Outlaw: UltraX12, LFM-1C; Emotiva: XMC-2; Nord: Nord One NC500DM, Nord Three 1ET7040SA; Outlaw: Model 7500; OPPO 205

Edits: 09/27/20 09/27/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.